Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Blog Prompt: Discrimination

Reflect on the phrase, 'Anyone is guilty who watches this and does nothing'. What have you done when you have seen people being discriminated against? What more can you do the next time you witness discrimination taking place?


The phrase "Anyone is guilty who watches this and does nothing" has closely linked with racism. In the film, "Mississippi Burning", we can see that the whites are discriminating the blacks (the burning of churches, different tables, water coolers and toilets), and most simply ignore the blacks entirely. Although, ignoring the blacks might not seem to be a problem, but they are still guilty for not standing up for what is right (when then blacks are beaten up or lynched, some whites simply close an eye and acted as though nothing happened). Even the police force, supposed to uphold justice in town, acted as though nothing happened when they saw a black being beaten up.

Although I say that they are guilty, when I see others being discriminated against, I will avoid trouble and act as though nothing happen. Even though that is a very selfish thought, but I am afraid to offend the person who is discriminating the victim, as I might also be discriminated against. Even if I were to tell a teacher, the teacher will let the person off with a scolding but the person might continue with his mistake. However, in future, I will try to stop discrimination when I see it happening. After watching "Mississippi Burning", I feel there is a need for someone to stand up for what is right, and initiate to defend thse poor people who are discriminated against.

No comments:

Post a Comment